In exactly 2 years time, Bendigedig and myself will be all set and ready to
depart on our massive adventure around the world, non-stop. Just writing
this blog gets me excited at the though. What will it be like in that start
line at 13h00 UTC 2nd Sept 2023. Many challenges, triumphs and
disappointments to experience between then and now.
I’m very happy with my boat choice, an S&S 34. A proven ocean going yacht
which is well suited for short-handed sailing. The design is also notable
for being used for several single-handed sailing circumnavigations: Jon
Sanders in Perie Banou , David Dicks in Seaflight, Jesse Martin in
Lionheart and Jessica Watson in Ella’s Pink Lady.
The refit is well under way, and I have an amazing team of helpers,
suppliers, sponsors and advisors to make sure Bendigedig will be in the
best possible condition to complete the challenges ahead.
Milestones achieved to date
– 2# Watertight bulk heads installed
– Internal fitout first fix almost completed
– New Beta Marine engine installed
– Nav desk installed
– Sail locker flow coated
– Skin fittings all removed, revised and refitted
– Stanchions removed, reconditioned and installed with new backing plates
Between now and Christmas I need to complete the following
– Design, manufacture and install pulpit and pushpit – see progress photo
– Install block and plate for the autohelm – see progress photo
– Place order for new mast
– Finalize deck layout and install
– Fit my new GRP “spray hood – see progress photo
– Install nav desk chair
– That’s enough for now…….could be a very long list this one !!
I wish good luck to all the other entries and look forward to meeting you
all, *before* 2 years time.
…and a big shout out to my current main sponsor Curious Roo – Coffee